Loyalists

Although not many Loyalists settled in the Madawaska settlement, many settled a bit downriver in what is today Victoria County.
Norm DeMerchant

Loyalists

Post by Norm DeMerchant »

http://www.kingslanding.nb.ca/englishwhatis.htm

Who were the Loyalists? They were refugees from the American Revolution who had courageously and steadfastly held to their beliefs in the face of overwhelming opposition. They came from each of the Thirteen Colonies and from all walks of life.

At war’s end many Loyalists had their homes confiscated and were declared public enemies. They dared not return home. They had given their all to a cause and lost. Seeing the seriousness of their circumstances the British government granted them land in the colonies of Canada, Nova Scotia and Bermuda. Thousands of Loyalists landed at the mouth of St. John River in the spring and fall of 1783. New Brunswick was then part of Nova Scotia, and only became a separate colony in 1784.

They were a mixed group. They definitely were not, as some have claimed, all from well to do families. Rather they were a broad sweep of Americans at that time, including a few wealthy families, many craftsmen and farmers and even some slaves. Most were ordinary people who made an extraordinary decision. Whatever their background, they all faced a future of struggle and hard work.

The first few years were very hard years for many of the Loyalists. The British government supplied seeds, farming tools and food. Some who arrived in the late autumn of 1783 spent their first New Brunswick winter in a tent.

For some the hardships proved too much and they gave up and returned to the United States or even to England. Still others found that their lands were not productive and moved to new grants. By the late 1780’s their farms were productive, their shops bustling as the Loyalists made lives for themselves in their new homeland.
Cyndee Wilson

Post by Cyndee Wilson »

there were the black loyalist that came to New Brunswick after the war. One such person was Joseph McIntyre who either came from Virigina, or New york and help founded what is still called "Elm Hill" today. He may very well be my great, gr,gr,gr Grandfather. I traced the McIntyre side of my family up to him.
I have been told that Elm Hill was once a very prosperous place. Now it is very poor, but they are now trying to build it back up. It is one of the only places that still exits from that time.
Norm DeMerchant

Post by Norm DeMerchant »

Hi Cyndee

Try this link.

http://www.lib.unb.ca/Texts/NBHistory/C ... raphy.html

I'm not sure if it will be any help at all but I did notice some great resources at the bottom of the page in the bibliography.

I think I know where Elm Hill is. I believe it is in Queens County just south of present day Gagetown. NB. You may get lucky and find out there is a local history of the area.

Good luck.

Norm...

Return to “Loyalists”