Thompson family of St. Francis

Discuss families whose names begin with the letters T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
Discuter les familles dont les noms commencent avec T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
Christina

Thompson family of St. Francis

Post by Christina »

Searching the Thompson Family name.

Think I found some information in the Victoria County Area, St Francis Parish also St. Luce. First Names are William, Peter (Pierre), Joseph.
Last edited by Christina on 25 Jan 2007 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
ChipG
Site Admin

re: Thompson family

Post by ChipG »

Christina,

If you go to this link you'll see all of the baptisms involving the Thompson family at Ste Luce from 1843 to 1860. Thompson baptisms at Ste Luce.

As you'll see there is a William and a Pierre, as well as some others. Clicking on the links for each record brings you to more details.

I can also check in the census records if you can give me more details.
Christina

re: Thompson family

Post by Christina »

The family that I am looking for is Thompson. Father is Joseph Thompson born about 1817, Wife is Marie Genevieve (Genoffe) Theriault born 18 Sep 1836. I have their marriage information 7 July 1856 at St. Luce (online here at http://www.upperstjohn.com/steluce/marr ... php?id=312). I also show baptism of first son Joseph, 11 March 1858. I am trying to find the records of other children born to this union. Possible Names are : Mary Ann, Peter or Pierre, Edward, Andrew, Jennie, John, & Marie Elizabeth.

Joseph Thompson born about 1817 had other brothers in the area: Charles, Elijah Ludger, and William.

Are there any records earlier than 1843? It would be nice to find Joseph Thompson as a child along with his siblings. Joseph's parents are Peter (Pierre) Thompson and Marie Julie Laviolette (Violette).

Also, do you know what it means on the baptism records for St. Luce when it says: depuis 14 jors, or depuis 2 mois?

Thank you for your willingness to be of so much help.
ChipG
Site Admin

re: Thompsons

Post by ChipG »

Checking the 1861 census of NB, I see a Joseph Thompson and family living in St. François parish in New Brunswick:
Joseph, 45, Anglican religion, b. in NB
Jane, wife, 23, b. in Quebec, Anglican
Joseph, son, 4, b. in NB
Marey, daughter 2, b. in NB
Next door is this family:
William Thompson, 48, b. in NB, Anglican
Rity Thompson, wife, 31, b. in Quebec, Anglican
George, son, 9, b. in NB
Mary, daughter, 7
Gabey, daughter, 4
Arline, daughter, 2
Next door:
Eliza Thompson, male, head of household, 35, b. in NB, Roman Catholic (name might actually be Elija)
Lucey, wife, 30, b. in Quebec, Catholic
Daniel, son, 9, b in NB
Leonore, daughter 8
Peater, son, 5
Peney, daughter, 3
James, son, 2
This is all on pages 3-4 of St. Francis parish, 1861 (not online).

This family is in St. François in the 1851 census here: http://www.upperstjohn.com/1851/stf6.htm#19, you probably have already found them. It seems they stayed in the same place over that decade, so pretty safe to put place of birth St. Francois parish (at that time it was Victoria County, Madawaska County broke away only decades later).

Here's info from the 1871 New Brunswick census (also not online):

St. Francois parish, p.72:
Joseph Thompson, 58, b in NB, Roman Catholic, French, farmer
Jane, 32, b in NB, Roman Catholic
Joseph, 12
Betcey, 11
John, 9
[start of p.73]
Maryann, 7
Peter, 6
Dulfis, 4
Andrew, 5 months
Here are other Thompson families in the same place, also page 73:
Charles Thompson, 54, b in NB, Roman Catholic, French, Farmer
Maryann, 34, b in NB, RC
John, 15
Henry, 12
Catherine, 10
Mary Ann, 7
Hiram, 6
Jane, 2
William Thompson, 66, b in NB, RC
Locad, 40, b in NB, RC
Andre, male, 15
Maryann, 14
Talli, female, 13 [probably Nathalie]
Adeline, 6
William, 2
Checking the marriages in New Brunswick (which have been published) I don't see any of these couples marriages recorded there.

What's interesting is if you check the 1851 census (p.19, line 15) you see Joseph Thompson, age 34, living with Edward, age 8 (presumably his son), and the remarks column says "wife left him." So the marriage in 1856 was a second one, though it's this fact wasn't noted in the parish register, usually it is. That earlier marriage did not take place in any of the Catholic churches in the St.John valley in New Brunswick.

Joseph Thompson born about 1817 had other brothers in the area: Charles, Elijah Ludger, and William.

Those are the ones listed in the census. Their father was Pierre, who had died by the 1856 wedding of Joseph.
Also, do you know what it means on the baptism records for St. Luce when it says: depuis 14 jors, or depuis 2 mois?
At the top of each record there is a link to the main page which gives translations. In this case:
hier = yesterday
avant hier = day before yesterday
depuis x jours = x days ago
depuis x semaines, mois, ans = x weeks, months, years ago
So depuis 14 jours means 14 days ago, depuis 2 mois means 2 months ago.
William Flowers

Pierre Thompson/Marie Julie Laviolette

Post by William Flowers »

Joseph's parents are Peter (Pierre) Thompson and Marie Julie Laviolette (Violette).
I have a Pierre Thompson whose wife is named Julie Legouffle, daughter of Jean Baptiste Legouffle and Marguerite Laviolette.

I wish I knew more about French names and naming practices, but I am wondering if this is the same couple. Ages, too, appear to match.

If they are the same couple, I have additional information on some of their children and Pierre Thompson's parents.

Return to “Family names / Noms de famille: T - Z”