Sifrois Gagnon and Ozithe Martin

Discuss the families of the valley whose names start with E, F, G, H
Discuter les familles dont les noms commencent avec E, F, G, H
reastman

Sifrois Gagnon and Ozithe Martin

Post by reastman »

Looking for any information regarding the family of Sifrois (Sefroid/Sigfried) Gagnon and his wife Ozithee (Ozite/Zeta) Martin. They were listed as the parents of Loren Gagnon, born 27 Nov 1869 in Van Buren and died 25 Jul 1946 in Presque Isle. Loren married about 1891 to Louise Lavoie (Laveway). I think Ozithe was born around 1850 in St. Leonard to Simon Martin and Salome Violette. Does anyone have any further info on this family? Thanks!
ChipG
Site Admin

Sifrois Gagnon

Post by ChipG »

Rich,
I think this is the Gagnon family you're referring to, they appear in the 1851 NB Census in St.Basile:
http://www.upperstjohn.com/1851/stb5.htm#10
Lines 51-55 (Orry is anglicized phonetic spelling of Henri)

51 | 75 | Orry Gagnon | M | H | 58 | French | Farmer (tenant) | March 1838 | | House
52 | 75 | Victoria Gagnon | F | W | 51 | | | | |
53 | 75 | Orry Gagnon | M | S | 15 | | | | |
54 | 75 | Sefrois Gagnon | M | S | 13 | | | | |
55 | 75 | Leloise Gagnon | F | D | 10 | | | | |

These are, I believe Sifrois's parents, Henri and Victoire, from the Repertoire des mariages de Kamouraska:

GAGNON, HENRY fils de LEON ET CHARLOTTE GAGNE
HUDON-BEAULIEU, VICTOIRE fille de LAMBERT ET LOUISE LIZOTTE
maries a KAMOURASKA - 1834-11-18 - Page No: 170

Let me know if you've got other questions on this.
ChipG
Site Admin

Post by ChipG »

One more bit of info.

Sifroi, son of Henri and Victoire Beaulieu, was married twice.

First marriage, to Philomène Bourgoin (daughter of Barthélémi and Elisabeth Martin), at St. Basile on 7 Nov 1864.

His second marriage was to Zité Martin (d. of Simon and Salomée Violette), at St.Léonard-Parent, 8 Nov 1870.

So if you have Loren's birthdate correct, he was most likely the son of Philomène rather than of Zité. You'd have to check for Philomène's date of death to confirm that.
reastman

Loren's mother

Post by reastman »

Chip,

Thanks so much for your info. Yes, I had seen the 1851 census and saw Orry, figuring it must have been Henri. The birthdate I have for Loren is from his death record. On it, Ozithee is listed as his mother but it's very possible he never new his real mother if he was only 1 year old when Sifroi married Ozithee (Zite). I just don't have much on Sifroi as the 1851 Census is the only one I find him in, both U.S. and Canada. Loren was listed as born in Van Buren in 1869, but he's not in the 1870 U.S. census there. I have no idea who Loren's siblings were nor where and when Sifroi died.

Thanks for your help!
Rich
reastman

Loren Gagnon

Post by reastman »

Chip,

Just found the death record on Philomene as 29 Aug 1869... 2 months before Loren was supposedly born. As I say, the birthdate for Loren is from his death record. According to the 1900 Presque Isle census, he was listed as born in Dec. of 1872, which would make him Ozithe's child. Only way to find for sure is checking St. Bruno's records... I don't find Loren in St. Leonard.
Rich
ChipG
Site Admin

Re: Loren Gagnon

Post by ChipG »

I checked the Van Buren records, no Gagnons baptized in November or December 1872 or Jan 1873.
pirichard1

Post by pirichard1 »

I have found the following in the book of Birth Records of St-Basile published by Jean-Guy Poitras.

Sifroi Gagnon and Philomène Bourgoin

Alfred Gagnon Birth:1869-08-21 Baptism: 1869-08-23 St-Basile, N.B.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sifroi Gagnon and Dosithée Martin

Florent Gagnon Birth: 1871-11-26 Baptism: 1871-11-27
Joseph Guillaume Gagnon Birth: 1877-09-06 Baptism: 1877-09-09
Marie-Jane Birth: 1879-01-05 Baptism: 1879-01-12

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also have found the following in the book of Death Records of St-Basile published by Jean-Guy Poitras.

Henri Léon Gagnon Death: 1860-11-16 (72 years old)
Son of: Léon Gagnon and Charlotte Gagné
Married to: 1- Marie Élisabeth Lavoie
2- Victoire Beaulieu/Hudon

Victoire Beaulieu/Hudon Death: 1878-10-19 (86 years old)
Daughter of: Lambert Beaulieu/Hudon and Louise Lizotte
reastman

Sifroi Gagnon

Post by reastman »

Thank you for the great info! It is "Florent" that I was looking for initially. He went by Loren and his birth year recorded on his death certificate was wrong. I searched the St. Basile records online through the Drouin Collection but never came up with this information. Am still hoping to find a baptism for Sifroi.
Thanks!

Return to “Family names / Noms de famille: E - H”