upperstjohn.com Forum Index upperstjohn.com
Discussion Forum of the Upper St.John River Valley website
Forum de discussion du site web de la Vallée Supérieure de la Rivière St-Jean
http://www.upperstjohn.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sawmill in Madawaska area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    upperstjohn.com Forum Index -> Welcome to the Discussion Board!
Bienvenue au forum de discussion!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nan

PostPosted: 18 May 2009 22:04    Post subject: Sawmill in Madawaska area. Reply with quote

I am trying to find out if anyone knows anything about a sawmill being located along the St. John River either on the Maine or N.B. side in the 1870's or early 1900's in the Madawaska area. I believe it was owned by a man named Keating, name may have various spellings. I was told that it was across the river from Fort Kent but am not sure if that is correct or not. I'm also looking for info on an Ida (Brown) Keating. She is in the 1911 census but I can not find any other info on her or her family.

Thanks,
Nan

Last edited by Nan on 05 May 2011 18:59; edited 1 time in total
Clarence Ouellette

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, there was a sawmill in Keagan in the 1940's. Every spring lumber cut in the allagash would float down the St. John River to Keagan. The logs were stopped by man made islands in the St. John River right before the mill. I remember the logs jamming up and causing a dam at the bridge from Madawaska to Edmonston. This daming had to be broken up with dynamite. I remember standing on the international bridge to witness this event. The sawmill in Keagan burnt down several times. It it said that the reason for the destruction of the mill is that it was partially built on an old cemetary. There was also a sawmill in Grand Isle (1800's). This mill was owned and operated by the Cyr's. Bon Chance,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    upperstjohn.com Forum Index -> Welcome to the Discussion Board!
Bienvenue au forum de discussion!