Ste-Luce

Discuss any church records
Discuter les registres des églises
John Holmes

Ste-Luce

Post by John Holmes »

In your section on early marriages at Ste-Luce church, you state is was established as a parish in 1843. In some of the pop-ups you site St-Luce as a source for marriages that took place before 1843. The one of interest to me is Isaac Yarrington and Catherine Nadeau m. 1835 source Ste-Luce P. 164. Also do the Church records show a difference between actual Marriages and unions that were blessed?
ChipG
Site Admin

RE: Ste Luce

Post by ChipG »

John,

The Ste Luce registry compiled by Guimond, from which the popup info was taken, includes info on parents of people married at Ste Luce, their parish of marriage and the date, if they themselves were not married at Ste Luce.

In this case, Isaac Yarrington and Catherine Nadeau are listed as possibly married in Ireland in 1835, with a question mark. They were not married in Ireland (Nadeau not being an Irish name...) but were probably married about 1835.

The actual marriage record of their daughters Julie (1857) and Delina (1859) records only their names and the fact that they were from St.François.

The register does list marriages of Catholics as well as of Protestants, and describes them as "protestant" in the latter case. Is that what you are referring to as "blessings"?
John Holmes

St-Luce church marriages

Post by John Holmes »

Chip
I've been talking to a descendent (grandson) of one of the Yarrington sisters (Catherine). He says sometimes the priest blessed unions if the couple were married in a non Catholic ceremony. He sites as a example his own parents who were married outside the church. The baptismal certificates for the first two children have "illgem" in the margin. His parents then went and got their union "blessed" and the rest of the siblings are listed as legit. He is getting me a copy of Adalaide "Lydia" Yarrington's baptismal certificate. He says it has Isaac Yarrington and Catherine Nadeau as parents. It also has "illgem" in the margin. The census have Isaac by himself in 1830 & 1833 so I don't know what the relationship between him and Catherne was yet. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
John

RE: Ste Luce

Post by Guest »

John,
I just checked the church records themselves from the microfilm, up to 1856.

There are three births to Isaac and Catherine, daughters, in that period.

In 1846, Hélène, baptized 20 October, born 15 days earlier "to Isaac and Catherine." Thus, not described in the regular way as "born from the marriage of", but nor is she listed as illegitimate. Also, the relationship is not described as the "concubinage" which is occasionally used in the register.

By 1852, the twins Catherine and Marie Métaide baptized 14 April, born 8 days earlier. Here, they are listed as "born from the marriage of" Isaac and Catherine.

But most of the other baptisms indicate that the child was born from the "legitimate marriage" of the parents.

Nothing in between indicates that the two were actually married or blessed, at Ste Luce anyway.
Chip
YankieCajun

Catherine Nadeau married to Isaac Yarrington

Post by YankieCajun »

John,

The Nadeau Family Reunion Genealogy Book page 78 colum 1, published based on individuals submitting their genealogy to the reunion committee as part of the Nadeau Family Reunion held in conjunction with the Acadian Festival in 1998, shows Catherine Nadeau, daughter of Sebastien Nadeau and Marie Ursule Morin, as married to Issac Yarrington in 1825 at St Basile.

I have another entry in my database that show Catherine Nadeau (parents not indicated) married Isaac Yarrington about 1835, no location indicated. This entry shows as having come from a cousin who shows their daugther Julie Yarrington married to Patrick White at Ste Luce on 4 Jan 1857.

In researching my ancestors, I found several baptismal entries recorded in the St Basile parish register that I suspect may actually have been performed at the chapel in Ste Luce that existed since 1826 before the formation of the Ste Luce parish in 1843.

Ken Roy
ChipG
Site Admin

Re: Catherine Nadeau married to Isaac Yarrington

Post by ChipG »

Ken,
If they were married at St. Basile, I wonder why the register doesn't describe it as "legitimate marriage"? Any other info on this marriage?
Thanks.
Chip
jbott

Re: RE: Ste Luce

Post by jbott »

ChipG wrote: The Ste Luce registry compiled by Guimond, from which the popup info was taken, includes info on parents of people married at Ste Luce, their parish of marriage and the date, if they themselves were not married at Ste Luce.

In this case, Isaac Yarrington and Catherine Nadeau are listed as possibly married in Ireland in 1835, with a question mark. They were not married in Ireland (Nadeau not being an Irish name...) but were probably married about 1835.

The actual marriage record of their daughters Julie (1857) and Delina (1859) records only their names and the fact that they were from St.François.
Chip,

For a long time I could find no information about my ancestors Edward Smith married to Ellen Yarnton in northern Maine. Then I found your census data and located Edward Smith, Ellen Smith and child Cyprian Smith. There was a popup for Ellen showing the name - Delina Smith nee Yarrington. Bingo! Ellen Yarnton was really Delina Yarrington.

Census page is here:
http://www.upperstjohn.com/1860/T18R7-6.htm#476

See lines 38, 39, and 40.

Notes from my grandmother said that Edward was born either in Dublin, Ireland or Canada. I also knew there were 8 children; for one of which there was no known name. This is probably Cyprian.

Another child, George Vincent Smith, was my G-Grandfather. He was a logger in Maine. The Maine marriage record for him shows him from Ft. Kent and his wife from St. John. They lived at Eagle Lake. My grandmother, Nella Dorress Smith, was raised at Eagle Lake and her daughter (my mother) spent quite a bit of time there as a child.

This information, and more, makes a pretty strong case that the name I had, Ellen Yarnton, is the same person as Delina Yarrington. Chip, thanks to the great information you have so deligently collected and provided, I was able to track back my family line several more generations to France.

I have lots more information about the decendents of Delina (Yarrington) Smith if anyone is interested. I have not seen any information on her decendents posted anywhere on the Internet.

James
jbott

Re: Catherine Nadeau married to Isaac Yarrington

Post by jbott »

YankieCajun wrote:The Nadeau Family Reunion Genealogy Book page 78 column 1, published based on individuals submitting their genealogy to the reunion committee as part of the Nadeau Family Reunion held in conjunction with the Acadian Festival in 1998, shows Catherine Nadeau, daughter of Sebastien Nadeau and Marie Ursule Morin, as married to Issac Yarrington in 1825 at St Basile.

I have another entry in my database that show Catherine Nadeau (parents not indicated) married Isaac Yarrington about 1835, no location indicated. This entry shows as having come from a cousin who shows their daughter Julie Yarrington married to Patrick White at Ste Luce on 4 Jan 1857.
Ken,

This page:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bi ... r&id=I9848

Shows the parents of Catherine Nadeau (married to Isaac Yarrington) to be Bénoni Nadeau and Elizabeth Leclerc. It also shows one of their children to be Julie.

James

--------------
ID: I9848
Name: Catherine Nadeau
Given Name: Catherine
Surname: Nadeau
Sex: F
Birth: Abt 1809 in Kamouraska, Québec, Canada 1
Death: Y
Change Date: 12 Jun 2004 at 22:00

Father: Bénoni Nadeau b: 11 Aug 1770
Mother: Elizabeth Leclerc

Marriage 1 John Isaac Yarrington b: Abt 1805 in Ireland
Married: Abt 1835 in St. Basile, Madawaska County, New Brunswick, Canada 2
Change Date: 20 Feb 2004
---------------
ChipG
Site Admin

Re: Edward Smith married to Ellen Yarnton

Post by ChipG »

James, I'm glad the website has been helpful in your family research.

Could I suggest that you do a separate post under "families" for the Smiths where you could put that info? That would be helpful to other researchers.

Thanks.
John Holmes

Post by John Holmes »

Ken Roy mentioned he thought some of the births in the St. Luce area berore 1843 were registered in St Basile. I have found an example. Marie Galenton (Yarrington), daughter of Isaac Galenton (Yarrington) and Catherine Nadeau is in the St Basile register. It is signed by H. Dionne.
In Marie/Mary's daughter Edna's marriage record, it states Mary was born in Fort Kent.
John[/img]
ChipG
Site Admin

Post by ChipG »

John Holmes wrote:Ken Roy mentioned he thought some of the births in the St. Luce area berore 1843 were registered in St Basile. I have found an example. Marie Galenton (Yarrington), daughter of Isaac Galenton (Yarrington) and Catherine Nadeau is in the St Basile register. It is signed by H. Dionne.
In Marie/Mary's daughter Edna's marriage record, it states Mary was born in Fort Kent.
John[/img]
John,
That's right, people who lived in the areas that would become Ste Luce parish in 1843, before that time were serviced at St Basile, so baptisms, marriages etc. of those families can be found in the St Basile registers.

Return to “Church Records / Les registres des églises”