Esther Gardner's Act of Renunciation (of Protestant faith)

(moved to the valley from Quebec in about 1844) Discussion of this family, their ancestors and descendants
(migrés à la vallée de Québec vers 1844) Discuter cette famille, leurs ancêtres et leurs descendants
ChipG
Site Admin

Esther Gardner's Act of Renunciation (of Protestant faith)

Post by ChipG »

I've just come across something that is quite interesting in the Ste.Luce church parish registers.

It is the act of abjuration or renunciation of Esther Gardner. An act of abjuration in the Catholic Church is where someone who is not Catholic (usually protestant I think), abjures, or renounces their former faith and becomes Catholic.

Here is the original French text, with translation afterwards:

Act d'abjuration de Marie Esther Garner, épouse d'Amable Ouellet

Le dix-neuf mars mil huit cent cinquante huit, dans l'Eglise de St. François Xavier, en présence d'une nombreuse assemblée, réunie pour la prière et instruction du Carême moi prêtre (?) soussigné, j'ai reçu la profession de foi de Marie Esther Garner, agée de quarante deux ans, épouse d'Amable Ouellet cultivateur de St. François Xavier, et je l'ai aussi absoute de l'hérésie. Présents Louis Albert, Dydime Cyr et plusieurs autres qui n'ont su signer.
H. Dionne, prêtre

Translation:

Act of Abjuration of Marie Esther Garner, wife of Amable Ouellet

On 19 March 1858, in the Church of St. François Xavier, in the presence of a large gathering, together for the Lenten prayer and instruction, by myself, the undersigned priest, I have received the profession of faith of Marie Esther Garner, aged 42 years, wife of Amable Ouellet, farmer of St. François Xavier, and I also have absolved her from heresy. Present were Louis Albert, Dydime Cyr, and many others who did not know how to sign their names.
H. Dionne, priest

Return to “Amable Ouellette & Esther Gardner”