Finn family

Discuss the families of the valley whose names start with E, F, G, H
Discuter les familles dont les noms commencent avec E, F, G, H
ChipG
Site Admin

Finn family

Post by ChipG »

Here is information on the Finn family, from the Ste Luce parish records, from 1842 through 1858:

Marriage of William Brown and Hélène Finn
married 27 October 1852
William Brown, living in this parish,adult son of the late William Brown and of [?] Donelly of Ireland
Hélène Finn, living in this parish, minor daughter of the late Thomas Finn and of the late Hélène Morgan, who when alive also lived in Irland
Witnesses: Raphael Martin, Joseph Daigle

Baptism of William Thomas Finn
3 August 1854, baptised William Thomas, born two weeks ago of the legitimate marrigae of Thomas Finn, farmer, and Marie Droen of this parish. Goparents: William Caron and Brigitte Finn

Burial of William Finn
21 March 1855, buried the body of William, died on 2 March, aged 7 months, legitimate child of Thomas Finn and of Marie Cunningham of this parish. Witnesses Alexis Leveque, the church verger, and Regis Cyr.

Baptism of Thomas Finn
9 September 1855 baptised Thomas, born 23 July of legitimate marriage of Thomas Finn and of Marie Anne Drohan of this parish. Godparents: George Finn and Marie Anne Donnelly[?] of this parish

Baptism of Elisabeth Finn
20 May 1857, baptised Elisabeth, born 11 April of legitimate marriage of Thomas Finn and Mary Drohan of this parish. Godparents François Labé and Susanne Ringuette.

Baptism of Hélène Finn
2 June 1859 baptised Hélène, 11 days old, of legitimate marriage of Thomas Finn and of Marie Anne Kelley of St.Joseph. Godparents Michel Caron and Josephte Lajoie.

--------------

Note: The reference to "St.Joseph" in the last entry seems to refer to what was possibly a chapel called St.Joseph in what is now Wallagrass (it's now a parish and church, St.Joseph's). The family lived in what is today the area around Wallagrass, as did others who are listed as from St.Joseph.

The variations in the maiden name of Thomas Finn's wife is not unusual for non-French inhabitants, since "Drohan" is the one listed the most often, I'd say that her maiden name was some variation of that.
Nessa Burns Reifsnyder

Re: Finn family

Post by Nessa Burns Reifsnyder »

If anyone is interested in knowing more about these individuals, I have extensive info on my database about them and their descendants/ancestors. Thank you, Chip, for extracting the Ste. Luce info and posting it here.

--Nessa
Researching Brown, Finn, Pinette, St. Germain, Lebel, Caron, Laferrière, Morgan, Drohan
ChipG
Site Admin

Bridget Finn gravestone

Post by ChipG »

I just returned from a visit to the valley and happened upon the gravestone of Bridget Finn:

Bridget Finn
wife of William Dee
Died
May 16, 1891
Aged 70 years
RIP

This is in the old St.Louis cemetery across from the church in Fort Kent.
Nessa Burns Reifsnyder

Post by Nessa Burns Reifsnyder »

Thanks for sharing that info, Chip--Bridget is indeed connected to this line as well. Given extensive family lore about her and the concurrence of naming patterns, I speculate that she is the sister of Ellen Finn and Thomas Finn. She and her descendants are in my genealogical database, if anyone's interested.

Thanks again,
Nessa
Researching Brown, Finn, Pinette, St. Germain, Lebel, Caron, Laferrière, Morgan, Drohan

Return to “Family names / Noms de famille: E - H”