The "French Settlement"

Discussion of communities in the valleys of the St.John, Madawaska, and Green Rivers in what is now Madawaska Co., New Brunswick
Discuter les communautés dans les vallées des rivières St-Jean, Madawaska, et Vert au comté actuel de Madawaska, Nouveau-Brunswick
ChipG
Site Admin

The "French Settlement"

Post by ChipG »

In the 1851 census, within the parish of Andover, is a place called the "French Settlement". Go here for the transcription.

Does anyone know where exactly this settlement was? It seems to be within the current parish of St.André but I'm not sure.
piciller

Post by piciller »

According to Stanley B. Attwood, author of the book -
The Length and Breadth of Maine, the French Settlement
is located in Skowhegan

milan miller
ChipG
Site Admin

Post by ChipG »

Milan,

The term "french settlement" was one that was common throughout the area. There was indeed a "French Settlement" in Skowhegan (in downstate Maine), but this is not the "French Settlement" I'm asking about here.

My query refers to a settlement that is listed in the census of Victoria County, New Brunswick, in particular in the parish of Andover. It seems to be about where the parish of St André, NB is located today, along the St.John.

Return to “Madawaska County, New Brunswick / Comté de Madawaska, Nouveau-Brunswick”