Family of Miles Gibbons

Discuss the families of the valley whose names start with E, F, G, H
Discuter les familles dont les noms commencent avec E, F, G, H
Nessa Burns Reifsnyder

Family of Miles Gibbons

Post by Nessa Burns Reifsnyder »

I don't have a familial link to Miles Gibbons and his wife Sarah of Eagle Lake/Wallagrass ca. 1860, but they lived next door to Thomas and Mary Ann Finn, to whom I'm related--and I suspect the Gibbonses were well-acquainted with the family of my gg-grandfather William Brown, too.

Because the Gibbonses were Irish, I have keen interest in knowing from whence they came and why they chose northern Maine to settle. And I just excavated these nuggets from Chip's excellent Ste. Luce baptismal transcriptions:

Giben, Edouard: parents Giben, Michel and Pargenton, Sara, bapt. 15 Apr 1858
Gibin, Jean Michel: parents Gibin, Michel and Parkenton, Sara, bapt. 27 Jul 1856

I believe these are two of Miles and Sarah Gibbons' children. Edward appears on the 1860 census, but John does not. If correct, this would be key info--it means that this family was Catholic. Sorting out which of the Upper St. John Valley Irish families were Catholic and Protestant can also be useful for helping determine their origins.

Looking forward to hearing any info or anecdotes about this Gibbons line. Thanks!

--Nessa
Researching Brown, Finn, Pinette, St. Germain, Lebel, Caron, Laferrière, Morgan, Drohan
ChipG
Site Admin

John Gibbons

Post by ChipG »

Nessa,

John died at the age of three, you can see his burial info at this page: http://upperstjohn.com/steluce/burialdetail.php?id=617

This is from the forthcoming Ste Luce burial records database, which I'm in the process of proofreading now.

You can see he died in Sept 1858, which is why he was not in the 1860 census.
Nessa Burns Reifsnyder

Another fantastic resource!

Post by Nessa Burns Reifsnyder »

You're making me run out of superlatives, Chip. :) Seriously, thank you so much for pointing me at this database and helping me to orient the Gibbons family. I also found a lot of other valuable information in the almost-done burials listings. They are just superb.

--Nessa
Researching Brown, Finn, Pinette, St. Germain, Lebel, Caron, Laferrière, Morgan, Drohan

Return to “Family names / Noms de famille: E - H”