Info on the 1820 US census missing originals

Discuss or ask questions about any of the censuses transcribed on this website, or suggest other censuses to add to the site
Discuter ou poser des questions sur les recensements transcrits sur ce site web
ChipG
Site Admin

Info on the 1820 US census missing originals

Post by ChipG »

On the 1820 US Census of Madawaska page I explain why the census of Madawaska is missing from the microfilm copy, how and where I found a copy of the original, and my search for the missing original returns in the US Archives in Washington DC.

I just returned from Boston, where I visited the US Archives branch in Waltham. That branch holds the archives of the US District Court of Maine from the 19th century. The 1820 archive originals were in that District Court.

I thought that I'd be able to locate the originals, since I believe they were misfiled after they were copied for the Arbitration documentation in 1828.

Unfortunately, they were not there; in fact, the one set of archival papers I looked in was missing everything from 1825 to 1837, which the archivist told me was not unusual. It may have been lost, or it may have been thrown out.

In short, I'm not too optimistic at this point about ever finding the originals... You never know though. If you've got any leads, let me know!

Return to “Censuses / Recensements”