John Harford

The earliest English-speakers who settled came around 1820, and continued to migrate to the valley throughout the 1800s. Many of them came from Maine and Massachusetts
Sharon Standiford

John Harford

Post by Sharon Standiford »

From the information I have gathered from this website I believe John Harford came to the Upper St John from a location south of Aroostook. The main reason for my conclusion is that his name appears in the "List of American Citizens in possession of lands in Madawaska". Also, he resides next to Charles McPherson who's wife is Sarah Adelia Grant. John Harford Sr.'s wife is Mary Grant. It is an interesting coincidence that the neighbors are married to women with the same maiden name. Did he and McPherson journey to the North together?
From the information in the land grants he seems to have a strong business relationship with Jesse Wheelock, John Baker, and Augustine Webster.
In order to find more information about him it would be helpful if I had information regarding where the other gentlemen's journey north originated, so I could look for him in one of those locations.
Cheers,
Sharon Standiford
Salt Lake, UT
jbott

Post by jbott »

Sharon,

According to this source, Charles came from NY.

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi? ... &id=I45238

It also lists Sarah's parents names, but they show no other children.

James
John Holmes

Post by John Holmes »

Sharon
I don't know if this is the same John Harford, but there is a John Harford living next to a Nathan Baker in the 1810 census in (Million acres north of Solon and Athens), Somerset County Maine. From what I have read on Chips site, he thinks some of the Englsh settlers in Madawaska came from Somerset County. Nathan Baker and his brother John Baker and John Harford (Hafford) all appeared about the same time around 1820.
John
fred

John Hafford

Post by fred »

Dear Sharon,
Thanks for posting the info, You and Mr. Holems are correct. It seems the Harfords came from the Kennebec valley by way of moosehead lake, The Allagash lakes and river before 1814. Being the best of rugged rivermen they could have scouted the area before that. John sr. and son landed at Baker Brook 1817 a few months before Nather Baker. the next year brought his Family. I have John sr, 2 sons John JR, Phinas Randal and a daughter Sophia. John JR B. 1794 M. Martha MCenny, large family had son named long John, B. 1824, M. Amanda Michaud from ST Basil. They had named Long John Hafford, B. 1846 M. Sara Walker. They had a son John Todd Hafford Called Todd Hafford he was My Grand Father My Father is Fred Hafford, my Name is Fred Hafford Born and Raised in Allagash. There were so many John Haffords in all familys they could'nt go by John II III or IIII,
they identified the john by his fathers name long John
fred

John Hafford

Post by fred »

Hi Sharon,

I posted a reply a few days ago it went to John Holmes, let me Know if you read it I traced the Haffords back by way of allagash, river, lakes to Moosehead and Kennebec Valley I have a lot of geneology and history.

Fred Hafford
Sharon Standiford

Post by Sharon Standiford »

Thank you for the info Fred. John and Martha had a son, William who married Louisa Emery. Wm and Louisa had a daughter Rose Anne(married George Pelletier) she is my gg grandmother.
Cheers,
Sharon Standiford
Salt Lake, UT

Return to “Maine & Massachusetts”