Where is Samuel Russell from? Who were his parents?

Discussion of their families, ancestors and descendants
ChipG
Site Admin

Where is Samuel Russell from? Who were his parents?

Post by ChipG »

Samuel Russell is one of the big question marks in my family history.

I have not yet been able to identify with certainty Samuel Russell's parents. My cousin Maynard Jalbert has spent long hours looking into this question too.

Recently however, I have come across a couple of pieces of information that have led me to suspect that Samuel moved to New Brunswick from the area of the upper Kennebec River valley, near Moscow, in Somerset County, Maine.

The evidence: Sam was a lumberman who moved from the Kennebec valley to New Brunswick -- probably the Baie des Chaleurs region -- in about 1825. When he moved to the upper St.John River valley sometime in the 1850s, he settled in exactly the same place -- now St.John Plantation -- as a number of American lumbermen who moved to the upper St.John in the early days, between 1810 and 1820, from Moscow, in Somerset County, Maine. These men included Jesse Wheelock and Barnabas Hannawell; Nathan and John Baker and Walter Powers were also from Moscow, and settled a bit downstream from today's St.John. These American lumbermen, all from around Moscow, settled along the upper St.John to ply their trade. Moreover, we know that John Baker spent several years in the Baie des Chaleurs area working in the lumber business before he returned to settle on the St.John. It seems certain that there was a network of lumbermen connecting Moscow and the upper Kennebec River valley with both the upper St.John River and the Baie des Chaleurs region.

Given these facts, it seems likely that Sam also came from that area around the upper Kennebec River valley, perhaps from around Moscow, Maine, and was part of that network of lumbermen.

I've looked at some of the Russell families in the area, but without luck. The one Samuel I found, it turns out, remained in the Moscow area, married and had kids.

For more information on the Russell info I've found, go to http://www.upperstjohn.com/russell/samuelrussell.htm

If you've got any info on Samuel Russell, I'd love to hear from you!
Kathyleen

Who is Samuel Russell

Post by Kathyleen »

I am also working on the RUSSELL surname so when I saw your message I looked in my information for a Samuel RUSSELL.

The following is the information I have about my Samuel RUSSELLs (I hope it helps):

1. Samuel RUSSELL, son of Walter RUSSELL and Elizabeth WINSHIP, died July 16, 1802. He married Ruth COX February 1754. She died November 12, 1797.

Children:
i. Samuel RUSSELL born September 27, 1754
ii. Eleanor RUSSELL born May 11, 1757; married John DICKSON
iii. Mary RUSSELL born about December 1759
iv. Ruth RUSSELL born September 29, 1762; died August 18, 1840 (died unmarried)
v. David RUSSELL born June 24, 1765
vi. Amos RUSSELL born about August 1769; died October 13, 1828
vii. Nathan RUSSELL born September 25, 1772

2. Samuel RUSSELL, son of Josiah RUSSELL and Sarah Hutinson, born before April 1800

All of this information I found in a book entitled History of the Town of Arlington Massachusetts 1635 - 1879 which I purchased from the Arlington Historical Society (www.arlingtonhistorical.org)

This is the first message I have placed on a message board so if you need more information or think you can help me with my search, please let me know

Return to “Samuel Russell & Ellen Baldwin”