Who were Ellen Baldwin's parents?

Discussion of their families, ancestors and descendants
ChipG
Site Admin

Who were Ellen Baldwin's parents?

Post by ChipG »

I don't have any solid information on Ellen's parents or background.

It is however possible that she is the [strike]daughter[/strike] sister of Daniel BALDWIN and his wife Ann, listed in the 1851 New Brunswick Census in Chatham, Northumberland County. This is the only family named Baldwin in that area that would fit the information I have about Ellen.
EDIT: I now believe that Daniel BALDWIN might be the brother of Ellen Baldwin.

Daniel was 62, born in New Brunswick, a farmer; his wife Ann was 56, also born in New Brunswick. Also in the household: son John, age 34, and his wife Jane (Blackmore; they were married 13 Nov 1845), age 24, and their children Jane (5), Thomas (3), Phoebe (2) and Daniel (2 months); son Daniel, age 32, and his wife Mary Ann (26, b. in Ireland) and their children Mary Ann (3) and Jane (1); and sons William (20) and Thomas (13).

Listed in the same census, in the same town was Samuel Creach, age 54, b. in USA, entered Canada Oct 1818, with wife Marie (41) and children Almina, Mary Jane, Albert, George, Elizabeth, Nancy, and Sarah Ann. This is very probably the same Sam Creech who was a witness at the marriage of Ellen and Samuel Russell.

Daniel is the son of John Baldwin and Hannah. He was born in Charlotte Co, in SW New Brunswick.

For information I have gathered so far on this family see this webpage: http://www.upperstjohn.com/russell/d52.htm

If you have any info on this family or any other Baldwins living in Northumberland County in the 1830s, I'd love to hear about it!
Last edited by ChipG on 03 May 2006 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

I too am researching the name Baldwin in New Brunswick. My great great grandmother was Janie Blackmore Baldwin who married Alexander McFarlane in 1872 in Chatham, Northumberland County. I am searching for the parents of Janie and I believe that she is somehow related to Jane Blackmore that married John Baldwin. Any info or suggestions for further research would be greatly appreciated.
ChipG
Site Admin

Janie Blackmore Baldwin

Post by ChipG »

Sheila,

Your Janie might be the Jane that I list above as 5 years old in the 1851 census. The age fits: she was born in 1846, and so in 1872 was 26 years old. Given the "Blackmore" it seems highly likely.

You may want to check the 1861 and 1871 censuses of Chatham and see if they are still living there.

Here is other information I've managed to collect in my search for Ellen's family:

John Baldwin who married Jane Blackmore on 13 Nov 1845, resided in Chatham/North Esk. He died on 18 Nov 1884 in Northumberland.

If you send me an email I have more info and some contacts for you, my email address can be reached at this page: http://www.upperstjohn.com/email.htm

Also, I have added some additional information on the Baldwin family, you can check it out at http://www.upperstjohn.com/russell/d52.htm

Return to “Samuel Russell & Ellen Baldwin”