James A. MacLauchlan

Discuss the families of the valley whose names start with the letters J, K, L, M
Discuter les familles dont les noms commencent avec J, K, L, M
Guest query

James A. MacLauchlan

Post by Guest query »

James A. MacLauchlan was the "Warden of the Disputed Territory" for New Brunswick.

I'm looking for more info on this guy.

Here's the info that is on this website about him:
MacLauchlan was born in Scotland in 1797. He joined the 104th Regiment of Foot, the New Brunswick Regiment, appointed as an ensign on 5 March 1812. In June 1812 Washington declared war on Britain, and MacLauchlan took part in that war. He was promoted to lieutenant in 1814, and in November 1815 he was serving as assistant engineer at Niagara.

As Squires notes, "After the war he settled with the detachment north of Lake Temiscouata," at the request of the British government. He adds: "They did not remain there, however, as the soil was too poor and the place too isolated and they soon removed to the military settlements in the St.John valley below the Tobique."

MacLauchlan became a deputy in the surveyor general's department and a commissioner of roads in the Upper St.John valley, and was one of the surveyors who laid out lots to be granted to veterans of the 104th Regiment by the New Brunswick Legislature.

In the 1830s through 1842 he was warden of the territories in dispute between Maine and New Brunswick. As Warden he had an encounter with John Deane and Edward Kavanagh, who had been sent by the State of Maine to undertake a survey of landholdings in the Madawaska settlement in July and August 1831. (For that report, go to the page on the 1831 Deane and Kavanagh Survey on this site. For Deane and Kavanagh's description of their run-in with J.A. Maclauchlan, go to "Deane and Kavanagh meet J.A. Maclauchlan.")

It in his capacity as Warden of the disputed territories that Maclauchlan was directed by the New Brunswick legislature or government to undertake a census of the Madawaska Settlement in November 1833; he delivered the completed census in December of that year.

In 1840, when the US was undertaking a census of the Madawaska Settlements, MacLauchlan confronted the census taker, Gorham Parks. Maclauchlan described this encounter in a letter to the private secretary of the Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick. As Warden, MacLauchlan was also involved in the events that almost led to war between the US and Great Britain in the upper St.John River valley.

In 1840 he was living in Kingswood, in York County. Squires notes that "he was one of the best known men in the upper valley." He died in 1865.

(that's at http://www.upperstjohn.com/1833/maclauchlan.htm)
If you've got any other info about MacLauchlan, post it here!

Thanks!
David Gildart

Charles MacLauchlan - Canada

Post by David Gildart »

Charles MacLauchlan was my gret great granfather who was a Serjent in the 104th Regiment of Foot and granted lots 71 and 72 in the Military Settlement on East side of St John River.

If anyone has info on this individual I would appreciate hearing from you. I am particularly interested in his full name, place of origin and parents. Also seeking info on his second wife Margaret believed to be a McLean of Irish origin.

I have no record of second marriage or death data on either Charles or Margaret.

His first marriage was to Isabella Hallett.

Thanx

Return to “Family names / Noms de famille: J - M”