Who are Amable Ouellette's parents?

(moved to the valley from Quebec in about 1844) Discussion of this family, their ancestors and descendants
(migrés à la vallée de Québec vers 1844) Discuter cette famille, leurs ancêtres et leurs descendants
ChipG
Site Admin

Who are Amable Ouellette's parents?

Post by ChipG »

One of my brick walls has been determining Amable's parents. This is in part because no marriage information has been found for Amable and Esther.

Since Esther seems to be from Cacouna, it seems reasonable to assume that Amable too is from that general region around Kamouraska. In US censuses he is listed as being born in "Canada", or Quebec.

One theory is that Jean Antoine Ouellette and Charlotte Belanger are his parents; they did have a son Amable, but on the other hand there are a lot of indications that he never left Quebec.

So: Who are his parents?
ChipG
Site Admin

a tantalizing clue!

Post by ChipG »

I've found a clue as to Amable's ancestry.

His daughter Marie married Louis Castonguay (son of Pierre Castonguay and Louise Bois) at Ste Luce. In the marriage record Father Dionne notes that the couple were third cousins. This means that one of Louis's great grandparents was a sibling of one of Amable's grandparents (I'm assuming he's not related to Esther Gardner, given her Scottish ancestry).

I'm in the process of tracing out Louis's ancestry back three generations and then down two. So far no specific find, but I'll continue to see what I can find.

Return to “Amable Ouellette & Esther Gardner”