Pierre (Peter) Fraser Married to Adele Roy

Discuss the families of the valley whose names start with E, F, G, H
Discuter les familles dont les noms commencent avec E, F, G, H
Gary Bussiere

Pierre (Peter) Fraser Married to Adele Roy

Post by Gary Bussiere »

Hi Chip,

Wondeful web site. Found out a few things about Frenchville and the Upper St. John River Valley.

But I do have a correction to the parents of Pierre (Peter) Fraser & Adele Roy located on one of your web pages:

http://www.upperstjohn.com/gagnon/agagn ... .htm#P7494

The parents of Pierre (Peter) Fraser are listed as William FRASER and Jeanne SAPHRAN. I believe this is incorrect.

The parents should really be Joseph Fraser (1795-1874) & Apolline (Pauline) Marchand (1800-1865).

This is according to posts made by Marie Fraser (Clan Fraser Society of Canada). Which I had to agree with her. She pointed me in the right direction.

The whole exchange can be found here, If interested:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=m ... aser&m=879

Donat Fraser (son of Pierre Fraser & Adele Roy) was my Grandfather on my mother's side of the family.

Birth and death dates are listed on the above link. I just don't want to cut and paste all the messages here and I suppose they stay on the rootsweb server for years.

Someday I'll get to visit Frenchville. My Great-Grandparents (on my mothers side of the family) lived there and are bured in Ste-Luce Cemetary.

Gary
ChipG
Site Admin

Re: Pierre (Peter) Fraser Married to Adele Roy

Post by ChipG »

thanks Gary for the info, I'll make that correction.

I'd gotten those names from Mariages de Frenchville, Maine (Sainte-Luce), 1843-1970, compiled by Léon Guimond (Sillery, Québec: B. Pontbriand, 1987). Apparently Guimond was wrong about them.
Gary Bussiere

Post by Gary Bussiere »

Chip, I know you listed the source for Pierre (Peter) parents as "Marriages de Frenchville, Maine (Sainte-Luce), 1843-1970, Leon Guimond.

If William Fraser and Jeanne Saphran (the parents of Pierre) are listed there, Leon Guimond may have assumed incorrectly or got his information on the parents from another source. Who knows?

I could see how it could happen, as it seems that everybody was named William, Peter or Joseph Fraser!

Would always come up with at least 100 years difference no matter how I sliced it though. But really needed a birth date for Pierre married to Adele to confirm my suspicions.

During researching William Fraser and Jeanne Saphran I found out they had a child named Jean. (I suspect that this Jean would be the John Fraser (c1730-1780) that Marie mentioned on one of the posts that she made) and he was married in 1777.

Another web site that I visited, mentioned that William and Jeanne had at least 3 children but only Jean was listed.

I assumed (for the time being) that Pierre (Peter) was one of missing children of William and Jeanne.

However one problem would always crop up:

Jean married Josette Gueret on 10 Feb 1777, Kamouraska, Quebec and Pierre (Peter) married Adele Roy in 1879 in Frenchville, Maine. It didn't seem plausible that Jean and Pierre could be siblings. That would put them 102 years apart in the marriages!

Thanks to Marie, She provided the birth dates for Pierre (Peter) and also John. They actually were born 107 years apart. So they had to have been born to different families.

Marie solved the mystery for me! And also saved me countless hours of research by providing the ancestry for Pierre (Peter) Fraser.

Return to “Family names / Noms de famille: E - H”