Paul Caron, m.1838 Modeste Ouellette; m.1862 Phil. Marquis

Discuss the families of the valley whose names start with the letters C & D
Discuter les familles dont les noms commencent avec C & D
ChipG
Site Admin

Paul Caron, m.1838 Modeste Ouellette; m.1862 Phil. Marquis

Post by ChipG »

A visitor asked me about this family. In particular two questions, which I answer below:

1. Is the Paul Caron who married Modeste Ouellette on 2 Jan 1838 at St Basile the same Paul Caron who married Philomene Marquis on 16 Nov 1862 at Ste Luce?

2. In the DGM, Philomene Marquis who married Paul Caron is listed as the daughter of Joseph Marquis and Methaide Albert. But in the marriage of Louis Antoine Gagnon to Philomene Marquis on 17 Feb 1868, DGM also gives this Philomene's parents as Joseph and Methaide Albert. Yet these are two different Philomene Marquis. Which one is Joseph's daughter?

Answers:

1. Paul Caron married three times: first to Modeste Ouellette, then to Philomene Marquis, then on 7 Jan 1880 to Domithilde Bélanger.

The evidence is from the censuses:

1851 New Brunswick census: in St Francois parish:
Paul Caron, 37, French, Farmer, came to NB in 1836
Modest , Wife, 40
Hilair, 12
Paul, 11
Xavier , 10
Madelaine, 9
Fairmin, 8
Modest, 6
William, 5
Narciss, 3
Flavia, 1

In the 1861 New Brunswick census, in St François we find this same family:
Paul Caron, 44, b. in NB
Mary, wife, 44, NB
Francis, 16
William, 14
Mosis (Narcisse), 13
David, 10
Michel, 4
Madeleine, 19
Flavie, 11
Adda, 7
Marie, 6
Alain, 2
Delenais, 11months

they are living next door to 23 year old Larry, who is most probably Hilaire, with his 17 year old wife Mary.

Paul remarries, to Philomene, in 1862.

In 1871, still in St François, we find them, now with Paul's new wife Philomene:
Paul Corron, age 54, b. in New Brunswick, French
Philomene, age 37, b. in NB, French
Mary, F, 17
Adda, F, 16
Oduese (Auguste), M, 14
Magloire, M, 13
Alain, M, 12
Daliete, F, 11
Philemen, F, 7
Dervina, F, 5
Eleis, F, 1

This shows that the same Paul Caron married both Modeste Ouellette and Philomene Marquis. In January 1880 Paul married a third time, to Domithilde Bélanger, at St. François.

2. Philomene Marquis who married Louis Antoine Gagnon in 1868 is the daughter of Joseph and Methaide Marquis. Specifically, Antoine and Philomene's daughter Marie Gagnon was baptized 12 Dec 1881 at Ste Luce. Her godparents were Eloi Lagassé and Modeste Marquis.

Philomene Marquis (d. of Joseph & Methaide) had a sister Modeste, who was married to Eloi Lagassé at Ste Luce in 1863.

So who is the other Philomene Marquis? The most likely answer we find in the 1860 census, where there is a Philomene Marquis listed as living in Township 17, Range 7 (now Wallagrass), at line 23, she's listed as age 21, born in "Canada" (meaning Quebec), and is working as a servant in the home of Joseph and Eliza London. She is not in the 1850 or 1851 censuses.

It is very likely that this is the Philomene Marquis who wed Paul Caron in 1862.
ChipG
Site Admin

Looking for Philomene Marquis

Post by ChipG »

Searching for information on Philomene Marquis, I've looked through the church records of Ste Luce, St François, and St Hilaire, between Jan 1871 -- Philomene appears in the 1871 NB census -- and Jan 1880 -- when Paul Caron remarries to Domithilde Bélanger.

There is no trace of Philomene: apart from Elise (see below), no children baptized, and no burial of Philomene herself. Given that we know she had other children, and that she died in this period, this is puzzling. I'm not sure where else these events might be recorded. The only other parish operating in this area in this period was St Louis in Fort Kent. I don't have access to those records.

I did find one hint about who this Philomene Marquis is.

At the baptism of Paul Caron and Philomene Marquis's daughter Elise -- 6 Jan 1870 at St Hilaire -- the godmother was Georgina Marquis (godfather was Bélonie Levesque).

It's possible that Georgina was a relative of Philomene's.

Looking in the 1871 NB census, there is one Georgianna Marquis, living in St Leonard (p.42). She is 20, born in Quebec, in the household of Cyrille Marquis (46, b. Quebec) and Délisle (46, b. in Quebec). It seems her family had moved from Quebec within the past 4 years, as the youngest child, Thomas, was 4 and also born in Quebec.

This is Georgina's marriage, 2 years later:
MARQUIS, GEORGINA fille de Cyrille et Adelaide Gauvin -
BEAULIEU, ELOI fils de Nazaire et Leocadie Pelletier - 1835
maries a Van Buren, ME - 1873-02-24

I have no idea whether she is the Georgina who was Elise's godmother; I find no other info on Cyrille and Adelaide, neither in the Madawaska marriages, nor in the Kamouraska marriages.

More as I come across anything.
sisk

On Cyrille Marquis

Post by sisk »

I found this unverified family tree:

Cyrille Philas Marquis b. 22 APR 1826 in Cacouna, Rivière du Loup, Québec, CANADA. Marriage Adelaide Jouvin 7 JAN 1850 in Cacouna, Rivière du Loup, Québec,CANADA, Saint Georges.

It appears that this couple had several children including a Philomene Marquis b. 27 Nov 1850 and a Georgiana b. 1851.

The date of the marriage between Cyrille Marquis and Adelaide Jouvin removes the possibility of their daughter Philomene Marquis of being the Philomeme Marquis that married Paul Caron. There could still be a family connection between Georgina Marquis and the Philomeme Marquis that married Paul Caron. Perhaps cousins? I have found a number of Marquis families living in the Cacouna area
Don Michaud

Paul Caron and Philomene's children

Post by Don Michaud »

Can anyone confirm as to wether or not they had a child named Egline Madeline that married a Magloire Michaud on 28 Nov 1874, at St. Hilaire, Madawaska, N.B? This would have been the second marriage for my Great Great Grandfather Magloire. His first was to Lucy Emond. My records also have a sister Adelaide for Egline Madeline.
Don Michaud
Enfield CT.
piciller

Post by piciller »

There is a Adelaide bapt. - 11/4/1860 St.Francois , N.B. daughter of
Paul Caron / Modeste Ouellet
It is Madeleine Caron , born - 6/20/1843 in Frenchville, Maine who was
married to Magloire Michaud ( your ancestor )
An Elgine Caron ( no relation ) also married a Magloire Michaud 7/10/1893

milan miller
Don Michaud

Post by Don Michaud »

Hi Milan. Thank you for responding to my request. Can you tell me what you used as a source for the birth date of Egline Madeline Caron? 20 June 1843 would make her twenty years younger than Magloire who was born about 1823. Also I thought her parents Paul Caron and Philomene (Marquis) Caron were maried in 1862?
Also do have any death information on Magloire or his wife Egline Madeline?
Thank's Don Michaud
Don Michaud
Enfield CT.
piciller

Post by piciller »

I am happy to say that I have access to the Frenchville Maine
microfilm - 1843 - 1895 +

Yes, Paul Caron / Philomene Marquis were married in Frenchville
11/16/1862

I have not come across the death of Magloire or Madeleine Caron
And this was her second marriage as well

milan miller