Jesse Wheelock was among the first settlers to come to the upper St.John River Valley from downstate Maine (as opposed to the vast majority of inhabitants of the valley, who originated in Acadia or in Quebec). The Deane and Kavanagh Report of 1833, referring to land on the south bank of the St.John a bit east of the confluence with the St.Francis river, notes that "Jesse Wheelock and Walter Powers began cutting in August 1830, built a log house where they lived last winter, and now have crops growing on the land.. . .."
For more information on Jesse, on his descendants and ancestors, go to:
Return to the Upper St.John River Valley main page
Last revised 14 Aug 2004